How to make your house attractive to buyers
If you need to sell your house fast the main factor that can influence the time it takes to find a buyer is the price. It’s quite simple the more competitive the price the faster your property will sell.
However, if your estate agent has made the price as competitive as possible it is hugely important to present your home to the best of its ability. However, be careful don’t spend an enormous amount of money. If you do there is a chance you will not get the money back.
Please see below a number of tips we give all our customers before marketing their house, none of which will be too expensive.
De-clutter your property
De-cluttering your property will not only show your property is tidy it will also illustrate to any viewers the space the property has to offer. If your property is cluttered rest assured your property will not look as big. We suggest to
- Be ruthless, empty out all the excess contents you have accumulated over the years that you don’t need. If you don’t use it now chances are you won’t use it again;
- Although you may want to get rid of some of the clutter keep the personal things that make it look like your home. This will give a warming feel to the buyers;
- People are often buying into a lifestyle as much as a property. Show them the attractive side of your lifestyle;
A fresh lick of paint
This is something you can even do yourself so all you have to buy is the paint.
- Giving your walls a fresh lick of paint, we suggest neutral colours. This will give your house a fresh look and make it smell clean;
- Painting the walls in neutral colours will help viewers envisage how they want the rooms to be with their personal touches;
- If all walls are neutral buyers are more likely to want to move in as they will be able to change things as when they can afford. However, if walls are painted colours not to their taste chances are they will want to paint immediately.
Fix things that are visual
- Make any minor repairs – holes in walls, broken door knobs, cracked tiles, torn or threadbare carpets. Things like this just look messy and will put most buyers off. Many buyers want to move in without making changes, so allow for this
Light and airy
- Wall mirrors make a room look much bigger and lighter;
- If it’s dark outside when viewings take place make sure all lightbulbs work;
- If its warm outside open some windows and let some fresh air circulate through your property;
- If it’s a cold night light a fire. Walking into a room with a roaring fire not only gives a warm cosy feel it looks attractive;From experience we are confident that bad smells in a home are the single biggest turn off for prospective buyers. Find out the core and fix it. A bad smell might be something as simple as a dirty bin but if a buyer smells this how will they know. They may think bad drainage etc which could cost money.
Make sure the property smells right
- If you are a smoker, place bowls of vinegar around the house and leave out for three days. Though the vinegar will smell when you open the windows it will disappear quickly taking a most of the stale cigarette smell out with it
- Good smells make a property feel fresh and clean.
When selling a house curb appeal is very important. A number of buyers will drive past the property before booking a viewing. If the garden is untidy a number of buyers will think the house will be a mess and run down and won’t even bother viewing. Therefore cut bushes back, clean the patio and furniture of dirt, and cut the grass. Also it is always a good idea to clean your windows.
Although all the points above are not going to add value to your home they will make it more attractive and increase the possibility of achieving a sale.
If you are serious about selling your property contact an estate agent they will come out to your home and help identify ways to help market your property to the best of its ability.
Don’t want the hassle!
If you don’t want the stress and hassle of instructing an estate agent, having numerous people round viewing knowing there is no guarantee they will buy it, you do have the option to contact a company who buy any house from you direct. If for example you type we buy any house into a google search a number of companies will appear, for example Fast Move. These companies will ask you a number of questions do their research and give you an instant cash offer. You could even have the money in your bank in 7 days.